Scorton Creek Dam

Another little known fact about Scorton Creek is an area where "the blinds" were constructed for goose hunting. Today you can see the remains of the dam/bridge which was built.  When in operation, the long, narrow creek became flooded like a pond.  The "blinds" were small shelters for the hunters that were spaced all along this pond.

According to Scott Torrey, his grandfather Albert Torrey had the structure built to retain water for a goose hunting "camp", a business in which hunters would pay to hunt from small structures along the edge of the pond thus created.  Dogs were used to retrieve the game. Some lodging, guns and ammunition could be provided. 

Click on the images for more details.

1927 clipping.
Google aerial shot of Scorton Creek and location of the remains of the old dam.
Remaining dam structure from land. Courtesy Sandwich Historical Commission
Close-up of remaining dam structure. Courtesy Sandwich Historical Commission
Remaining dam structure from water. Courtesy Sandwich Historical Commission
Slide taken in the 1960s. Courtesy of the Torrey family via John Nye Cullity
1/1