Enjoy these historic photos of Sandwich and its landmarks.
If you have any photos of historic Sandwich you'd like to share, please contact us.
Click on images to enlarge and learn more.
1st row: John Angelo Polloni, Barbara Ann Luksanen Gill, Joanne Bruna Govoni Hughes, Anne Patricia Parks Carlson, Ruth Ann VanBuskirk Jappe, Robert Edward Griswold.
2nd row: John (Jackie) Arthur McArdle, Anna Lois (always used Lois) Armstrong McLaughlin Howland (married twice), June Patricia Morrow Stoddard, Barbara Allan Bassett, Carston Howland,
3rd row: Merilyn Embroult Myers, Constance (Connie) Alva Crocker Carr, Philip Thomas Carson, Julia (always used Judy) Claire Casperson Hendy
For more information on this structure click on the link.
Once the glass-cutting shop of John B. Vodon on Spring Hill River as viewed from Rt. 6A, now a dwelling. It was built in 1894 on the site of an old grist mill. Photo circa 1906 courtesy of John Cullity.
Looking East on Main Street. This Unitarian church was built after the separation of Church and State in MA in 1833. On the left was the HGO Ellis Shop and on the right, the Nel Tobey House.
Also, Spurrs Veneer Works, Jarvesville.
Stood where the Glass Museum parking area is located.
Spilling Structure before Vodon Shop.
Stephen Rogers and Elizabeth Shove Wing were both notable Quakers. The house at 67 Grove Street once stood on land that is now Heritage Museums & Gardens. When raised in 1971 it was found to contain the frame and sheathing of an ancient one room house which was salvaged and re-assembled in Centerville by Stephen Hayes, Jr. (Source of details: The Sandwich Album by Rosanna Cullity and John Nye Cullity)
Left to right, Gertrude L. Pierce, Dorothy Crowell in doorway, David Crowell and Joe Fish.
The two buildings seen in this photo were of the Sandwich Tack Co., owned by I.T. Jones and Hiran Heald., which burned in 1883. The nearest building was used primarily as the office and for packing and shipping. The distant building was the water-powered factory, on the Upper Shawme dam. An elevated railroad was used to convey material between the two buildings. They were built in 1812-13 by Samuel Wing and his brothers as a cotton factory, the nearer building was used for worker housing.
In 1973 he helped establish a Town Archive for Sandwich and worked tirelessly as the town's first Archivist as well as to author "Sandwich, A Cape Cod Town" in 1984.